Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An in-between books post & Book Aid International Auction

Book Aid International is holding an online auction on Ebay. Most of the items being auctioned are books that have influenced prominent people, who have inscripted and signed them, including Helen Mirren, Ian McKellen, William Boyd, Iain Banks, and (apparently) Twiggy. Also included in the auction are several illustrations. All proceeds will help their good book work in sub-Saharan Africa.

And if anyone's been wondering why I haven't posted any reviews lately... Well, quite frankly, I've been mired in Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates. For some reason, despite my interest in Puritan history, I'm having a hard time getting through it, and now that it's reached the point where I cringe/sigh despairingly to pick it up again, I've decided to put it aside (for now). I'll give it one more go before I give up completely, because I think it's as much me as the writing. For now, I'm reading The Northlander to write a guest review for The Well-Read Child. I'll let you know when it's posted, in case you don't check that particular blog.

After that--well, I have a whole box full of ARC/review books to pick from. We are in between moves. This means that all my books from my shelves are in boxes in the basement of this place we used to live in, and which we're living in again, only for a month. Then we're moving into a new, hopefully a little bigger, place.

No comments: