Sunday, May 18, 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Reading this highly recommended book was like being taken back to everything I liked about being in my teens--namely, the books I was reading.

Meyer has written a book that is very hard to put down, even now that I'm a decade out of my teens. Main character Bella is a fun character to follow--and her klutziness is very important because it makes her less perfect, it helps the plot, and it makes for some funny moments in phys ed. And Edward, the wonderful, unrefusable vampire/love interest is reminiscent of the best parts of LJ Smith's vampire brothers in her trilogy (+1) The Vampire Diaries. In fact, I feel rather certain that Meyer must have been a Smith fan in her youth; they feel like very similar plots so far.

If one were looking for faults with this first book in Meyer's trilogy, one might decide that the plot is fluff or that the plot feels almost reliant on dialogue and unnecessary tags. But teens don't care about that (if I remember well, teens actually crave it like salt), and since they're the target readers...

Eager as I am to get to the next installment in the trilogy, though, I can't really complain, can I?
I'm going to go read some more.

No comments: