Monday, October 12, 2009

Recipe Exchange: Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes


Amy of My Friend Amy has had another scathingly brilliant idea to do a fall recipe exchange. You can click on the icon to go her post with all the participating bloggers in the Mr. Linky list.

I would love to share with you a recipe I found in a magazine years ago: Pumpkin Ravioli (cheese ravioli with a pumpkin sauce). However, I can't. It's been so long since I've made it that I know I couldn't tell you how to do it off the top of my head. (I haven't made it for two reasons: I haven't been able to locate the recipe AND frozen ravioli is impossible to find here--although they have frozen pierogies by the boatload. And fresh ravioli is twice is expensive for half the product.)****

So instead, I'm going to share with you what I made for my Thanksgiving guests last night that had everyone going, "Mmmmm!" with every bite. Seriously, this is my new favorite way to make sweet potatoes.

I made my dish based on the recipe posted over at ZestyCook.com, but because the potatoes were gigantic and we were feeding seven or eight people with varying appetite levels, I changed it up a bit. You can do a good portion of this earlier in the day if you're serving an evening meal.

Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes

6 lb. sweet potatoes
1/2 c. cream cheese (can use light)
3-4 t. vanilla
1/4 c. butter
3 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. toasted almond slices/slivers

  1. Heat oven to 375.
  2. Line a pan with foil (for easy cleanup) and bake sweet potatoes until tender. (Usually about an hour--my gigantic potatoes actually took 2.5.)
  3. When potatoes have cooled enough to handle, peel them. Discard the skins.*
  4. In mixing bowl, mash (or whip, if you're using a stand mixer) sweet potatoes. Add cream cheese, vanilla and butter.
  5. Butter a casserole dish (I used an 8" x 12" dish, approx.) and pour in potatoes. At this point you can cover/refrigerate** it until about 45 minutes before serving.
  6. Just before baking the second time, sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 30-40 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve.

* The original recipe calls for restuffing the skins in a traditional twice-baked potato fashion.
**It really depends on how long you're waiting before baking it again. And how much room you have in the fridge.

****Found it!!

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Those sound delicious! I'm printing your recipe out.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I can't wait to try it! Wish you'd try to post the Pumpkin Ravioli, too. Sounds scrumptious!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I agree, these look pretty amazing! Thanks for sharing it!

Marie Cloutier said...

Oh that's a must-make. Sweet potatoes are my husband's favorite and his birthday is coming up! :-)

Amy said...

Man, I really want some pumpkin ravioli now!!!

but these look wonderful, too!

Molly said...

oh yummy! My family orders these in the restaurants, but I have never fixed them at home. I am thrilled to now have a recipe!

Jenny said...

This sounds fantastic! I will have to try them.

Zibilee said...

I love sweet potatoes and I love twice baked potatoes, so this recipe sounds like heaven to me. My family won't touch a sweet potato with a 10 foot pole though, so unfortunately it will probably be awhile before I can make them. I am going to print this recipe out anyway and hopefully I can find some way to store the excess. Thanks so much for posting this!

Heidenkind said...

What a brilliant idea! I'm not big on sweet potatoes (too sweet), but this recipe definitely makes them sound appetizing.